Public Debate: A Strategy for the Civic Economy in Portugal
Setember 25th, 2014
17h00 - 20h00
ISCSP (Campus do Alto da Ajuda)
The Portuguese government recently announced a fund of €122m to develop the Portuguese civic economy. This presents a ground-breaking opportunity for the country to reduce its dependence on an economic model that has widened inequality, and focus on creating public good and sharing economic power.
This is the blueprint for the The Young Foundation’s EuropeLab work to reinvent Europe from the ground up, and we urge anyone working on developing civic economy around the world to join this conversation.
On 25 September 2014 the Young Foundation and the Platform for Sustainable Growth convened a public debate:
- Bringing together key actors working to democratize investment,
- Sharing lessons from across Europe, and
- Outlining an approach for developing Portugal’s social sector over the coming year.
Please listen to the speeches below:
17h00 – Opening Session
- Simon Willis, C.E.O., Young Foundation (click here to watch speech)
- Carlos Pimenta, Chairman, Platform for Sustainable Growth (click here to watch speech)
17h15 – Presentation: A strategy for the Civic Economy in Portugal
- Maria do Carmo Marques Pinto, Platform for Sustainable Growth (click here to watch speech)
17h30 – Panel Discussion
- Mario Calderini, Advisor of the Italian Minister for Research and Innovation (click here to watch speech)
- António Tavares. Chairman, Santa Casa da Misericórdia do Porto (click here to watch speech)
- Maria da Graça Carvalho, Advisor, BEPA, European Commission (click here to watch speech)
- David Wood, Director, Initiative for Responsible Investment, Harvard University (click here to watch speech)
- Sam Tarff, C.E.O., The Key Fund, UK (click here to watch speech)
- Indy Johar, Co-founder, Impact Hub Engine (SOLVE), UK (click here to watch speech)
- Moderators: Carlos Costa Neves, Platform for Sustainable Growth, Filippo Addarii, EuropeLab, Young Foundation
19h30 – Closing Session
- Monsignor Giampietro Dal Toso, Cor Unum, Holy See (click here to watch speech)
- H.E. Miguel Poiares Maduro, Minister for Regional Development, Portugal (click here to watch speech)
For news on the Young Foundation in Portugal click here.
This event is co-funded by the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme [FP7/2007-2013] under grant agreement n° 284625.